AMA with Ray Kruck, CEO of Tugboat Logic

Today's the day for your questions to Ray!

Don't worry, we won't go Dr. Seuss on you here. Instead Ray will be in the community today from 1-2pm PST to answer your questions!

How will this work?

Sometime today, leave your question in the comment's section below and Ray will answer during his AMA slot in the afternoon. You are welcome to wait until the AMA time itself if you would like to ask questions in more real time. If you miss the AMA time, please feel free to leave your question here anyway and Ray will check back over the next couple days to provide you with an answer.

What should I ask about?

It's an "Ask Me Anything!" Realistically there will be questions Ray cannot fully answer, but if that is the case, he will still respond to you and give you as much information as he can. You can ask about his previous experience, his goals for Tugboat Logic's platform, or just the general direction of the company itself. You can also ask fun questions like what drinks he prefers, how he's been keeping sane during the COVID pandemic, or what interesting media he has been consuming.

Going Forward?

This is our first AMA, so it's a test to see if you like the format and would be interested in similar events going forward. We would love to hear your feedback on it. Ray is open to doing multiple AMA firesides with you in the future, so we'll be sure to keep you updated about events going forward!

Ray looks forward to your questions!

NOTE: Remember you must Join the AMA group in order to ask a question/comment. You are welcome to join or leave the group at any time!

Comments

• Thanks for organizing this. How can customers get more involved with Tugboat?

• ray_kruck
    ray_kruck Tugboat Employee Tugboat Team

To kick things off, this image hangs in our Calgary office. A little photoshop magic helped make this beautiful tugboat in San Francisco Bay suit our purposes...

• ray_kruck
  • Amazing! Thanks for joining us here today, Ray. Super excited to kick this off. Here are some questions we received beforehand to get you started:

• What are your main goals for Tugboat Logic for the final quarter of 2020?
    • How are you handling remote work in a COVID environment?
    • What InfoSec resources or sites would you personally recommend?

• ray_kruck

We'd love for customers to be involved with our community - sharing content, sharing ideas. We'd also like to start looking at how we can bring more clients into our product design and decision making process. We already include a lot of client feedback but we're thinking about how we could effectively scale that up. Let us know if you're interested. Otherwise, please spread the good word! We love our customers!!

• Hi Ray,

First, thank you for the session. Thank you and kudos also to your staff. We at Digital Guardian have worked with Patrick Murray, Jose Costa, Mike Chessa, Sydney Archer, and Carman Kwong among others. Everyone has been extremely helpful and responsive and I'm pleased to say that some enhancements critical to DG's success are underway.

As a previous questioner asked, I would like to know your main goals for Q4 CY2020 and, in broad strokes at least, your goals for the first half of CY2021.

We are definitely interested in providing input and feedback. We've already had productive discussions with your team and would like to continue them.

Finally (for now!), why is the company called Tugboat Logic?

Thank you,

Harriet Cohen

• ray_kruck

Thank you for the questions and participating Harriet.

Our main goals for Q4 will be some exciting upcoming partner announcements, scaling up engineering and a major push forward in PR and marketing. You'll note we have a new website as of yesterday!!!!

2021 will see us expand market reach into the SMB market further and upstream into slightly more mature mid-market clients who already have an active security certification/compliance program running.

The company is called Tugboat Logic because we had always envisioned a "marine theme" for the company given that we are based in the San Francisco Bay area. Tugboat's are my favorite boat and they symbolize our company ethos - we'll get you into Safe Harbor from the rough seas of cybersecurity.

• ray_kruck

Sounds good Richard. I've got it noted and will reach out soon with a product mgmt intro.

• Such thoughtful Qs, @HarrCohen. So good! And equally thoughtful answers from @RayK! 🤩

• ray_kruck

Growing up in Canada, my love of tugboats started with this show: The Beachcombers and the "Persephone" - a tugboat used in a small BC village near Vancouver https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066630/

• ray_kruck

Our company name is a bit curious given our development center in Calgary, Alberta - there isn't a large enough body of water to support a tugboat within a 1000 kms (grin). Irony....gotta love it.

• @RayK I just got a Q from a customer who wasn't able to make it:

What security trends keep you up at night? Especially going into 2021. Thank you.

• ray_kruck

Hey Vic. One trend that concerns me a bit is a lack of attention on basic access controls and security around data at rest in public cloud platforms like AWS and Azure. Without deploying technology specifically, there are some basic steps smaller enterprises can take to start documenting, tracing and locking down client data at rest in cloud data stores. I think we will see infrastructure cyber threats continue to accelerate. Also, enterprises should review and take stock of their privacy exposure when gathering PII from public could platforms like Facebook, Google and others. Read the fine print of those vendor contracts closely and make sure you're not breaching any of their privacy and security protocols.

• ray_kruck

Thank you everyone for your participation! It was great to connect. We're hoping to do more AMA sessions with our extended team in the near future! If you still have any questions for me, please feel free to drop them here or in the community and I'll do my best to respond quickly.